Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there.
We get connected with each other in the space that opens up when we let go of our ideas of good and bad, right and wrong. When we feel safe and connected to ourselves, we don’t need to use these labels. When we are connected to ourselves, we are also connected to the people around us. It’s hard to find words to describe this field. In a sense it is beyond words.
Empathy leads us to Rumi’s field. It creates connection and strengthens existing relationships, in all areas of our lives. It can bridge temperamental, cultural and religious differences. Based on Shantigarbha’s new book I’ll Meet You There and many years of training in meditation, Nonviolent Communication (NVC) and mediation, Shantigarbha and Gesine will lead through guided reflections and practical exercises to help you develop your empathic listening skills.
This OWL2: Empathy is designed for practising skills learned in your OWL1, plus developing further understanding and skills in the area of empathy. It features the NVC Tree of Compassionate Connection, the Self-empathy Dance Floor, Empathy Archery, and the 13 Step Inner/Outer Dance Floor. More information on the NVC Dance Floors.
- Review and practice the basic ingredients of NVC.
- Share the ups and downs of applying NVC in your life.
- Extend skills and understanding with the NVC Dance Floors.
- Discover the healing power of presence.
- Connect empathically with yourself and others.
- Be able to list the purpose and specific learnable skills of Nonviolent Communication.
- Be able to list the Four Ingredients of Observation, Feeling, Need and Request.
- Be able to use the Four Ingredients in (i) expressing yourself to others, (ii) listening to others and (iii) listening compassionately to yourself.
- Be able to experientially describe the connection between self-empathy and empathy.
- Be able to self-empathize in challenging situations.
- Be able to hear the needs behind challenging messages.
As this is an OWL2 retreat, we ask that you have already completed an OWL1 or equivalent multi-day residential NVC event.
When and Where
Neembadi, Sanand-Bhavla Highway, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, 6 January – 12 January 2019.
This programme is offered on a sliding scale, for this event, we have estimated that the cost per person for running this programme is between Rs. 22,000 and Rs 34,000. We invite you to check with yourself what works best for you financially. Do contact Annie or Dhivya if you need more information.
Suggested contribution guidelines:
- If you are doing well enough to comfortably contribute, you may choose to contribute for your own costs and towards costs for another participant.
- If you are moderately well off or comfortable, you may choose to cover your own costs.
- If you are struggling with finances, please do not let money be a deciding factor for your attendance, and contribute what you can towards your participation costs.
Registration and paying your deposit
Register here. Please note: you are requested to make a deposit when you register to book your space. Once you have registered, we will send you an email with further details.