What can you expect at the Summerfest?
Empathy Home Groups
This is a key component of the camp for many people — a safe place. We will get together each day in small groups of 4–6 people to share and get support for our journey at the camp. These are always really popular and appreciated.
Dance and music
We will have a sound system in the main yurt and live spontaneous music around the fire pit. We hope there will be lots of celebratory activity co-created by all of us! Last year we had an amazing evening of co-created entertainment on the last night of camp.
Showers, loos and swimming lake!
There will be compost toilets and gas-fired showers, and a wood-fired sauna with along with the swimming lake!
Each morning we will have a big gathering in the main tent. This will be a time for group connection and exploring people want to request and offer for the day. To plan the day, we’ll be using an adapted Open Space Technology process. The principle is that anyone can offer on any topic at any time, including something for children. We’ll start with requests from the children and pre-planned or spontaneous offers for activities suitable for children. Then we’ll move on to requests from adults. Once we’ve put these up on the board, we’ll invite pre-planned offers, and then spontaneous offers in response to the requests.
NVC workshops and mini-gatherings
These will be created by us all around the theme of compassionate connection — so come with ideas, offerings and requests for what you would like to happen.
We will provide delicious, healthy vegetarian food at the Summerfest Café. If you give us advance notice, we can cater for dairy-free and wheat-free diets. You’re welcome to prepare your own food in the camping field.
There will be a dedicated Kids Area with a team of two co-ordinators and three volunteers. This year we really hope to foster a sense of community integration so that adults come to the children’s area at times and children integrate into the overall camp activities. However, some workshops won’t be suitable for children to be present. Single parents are welcome to come and our Kids Area team, as well as other camp members will support them to attend workshop sessions on their own, if that’s what they want.
- Until 8.45am Breakfast.
- 9.00 – 10.00am Community Circle (connection games/song, announcements, planning the day’s activities).
- 10.15 – 12.30pm NVC Session One — plus children’s activities, including tea break 11.30 – 11.45am.
- 1.00 – 2.00pm LUNCH and free time.
- 2.30 – 3.30pm Empathy Home Groups.
- 3.45 – 5.30pm NVC Session Two — plus children’s activities, including tea break 4.30 – 4.45pm.
- 5.45 – 6.15pm Community Circle / Harvesting the day’s experience.
- 6.15 – 7.00pm Dinner.
- 7.30 – 8.30pm Evening Session (open to offerings from anybody — including dancing, singing, improv, theatre, music-making, story telling etc).