When it comes to getting out of the door, bedtimes, sharing toys and household chores, all our good intentions as parents can go out of the window. How do we stay present and grounded with our children, even when the pressure is on?
The six principles of compassionate parenting
- Getting everybody’s needs met
- The importance of taking a time in
- Making sense of your own childhood
- Connection before correction
- Create a bridge from listening to expressing
- Demands are an expensive currency
About the Course
- Introduces you to the steps of the Nonviolent Communication (NVC) process for listening to your child, connecting with yourself, and self-expression.
- Gives you sufficient information and practice to start using NVC in your family life.
- Is run in an experiential style working with examples from participants’ own lives.
- Is a recognised stepping stone to further NVC training. Once you have attended this course you will be eligible to attend our Level Two/Intermediate courses.
When and Where
Six Fridays: 14, 21 and 28 October (skip 4 November) and 11, 18 and 25 November 2022,
10.30 am- 12:45 pm, UK time.
This is an online course. We will invite you to six online calls, using a platform called Zoom — instructions to follow. Zoom allows us to break out into ‘rooms’ for smaller group and couples work.
Who is this course for?
Parents who need tools to deal with conflicts with their child(ren). Come on your own or, if you can arrange the babysitting, with your partner. It’s an interactive audio-visual course over six weeks. We ask that you agree to attend at least five of the six sessions. If you are going to miss more than one session, we ask that you book on a later cycle. In order to create a safe space for sharing, we will only be sharing recordings of the sessions with attendees on the course who aren’t able to make a particular evening i.e. there isn’t a ‘watch only’ option. To give attention to each person on the course, we are limiting the number of participants to 22.
Preparation (not required to participate)
- Read Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life by Marshall Rosenberg.
- Or watch the videos of Marshall Rosenberg on our training preparation page.
- Read our articles on NVC parenting in: Juno (Natural Parenting) magazine.
- Read a book called Parenting From the Inside Out by Dan Siegel and Mary Hartzell. How a deeper self-understanding can help you raise children who thrive.
- Read Shantigarbha’s book on empathy I’ll Meet You There: A Practical Guide to Empathy, Mindfulness and Communication
- Sample our series of NVC Life Hacks on YouTube.
A week before the course starts, we’ll send you the link to a 15-minute orientation video. We offer this to ensure a smooth start to session one the following week, where we will have our focus on the NVC learning. In the video we go over important practical matters for attending an online course.
Gift Culture is a new paradigm that moves us away from making money a measurement of worth and value, towards focusing on the sustainability of the community as a whole. More about Gift Culture.
As part of experimenting with financial-co-responsibility, we ask the following:
- When you apply, select the £80 Booking Fee option. We ask that you treat £80 as a non-refundable deposit for your place – you can attend and choose to contribute no more than £80.
- At the end of the sixth session of the course, we will invite you to make a further contribution to help us continue and expand our work with others. This will relate to a) the value you have derived from the course, and b) your current financial resources and commitments. On the booking form, we will ask you to confirm that you are aware of this.
A note on finances
We ask for a Booking Fee of £80 to book your place plus a financial contribution of your choosing. To meet our costs and to ensure the sustainability of the event we are suggesting a total contribution in the range of £140–£300 for an online course. If this would be a hardship for you, please do not let that stop you from attending as we would love to have you there. Please contact us to talk about it.