This course is now fully booked. If you would like to go on the waiting list for this course please email Maria. Alternatively, you can book for our next Level Two online 6-week course, Transforming Anger, starting 15 March.
Join a community of like-minded people to learn life-changing communication skills.
About the course
People who get heard are more likely to listen.
Imagine interacting with others in a way that allows everyone’s needs to be equally valued.
Empathy creates connection and strengthens existing relationships, in all areas of our lives. It can bridge temperamental, cultural and religious differences. Featuring the NVC Tree of Compassionate Connection, the Self-empathy Dance Floor, empathy listening exercises, the 13 Step Inner/Outer Dance Floor. More information on the NVC Dance Floors.
This Level Two (Deepening) course is designed for practising skills learned in your Level One or Foundation Training, plus developing further understanding and skills in the area of empathy. (The other Level Two courses we offer are in the areas of anger and conflict).
- Review and practice the basic ingredients of NVC.
- Share the ups and downs of applying NVC in your life.
- Extend skills and understanding with the NVC Dance Floors.
- Discover the healing power of presence.
- Connect empathically with yourself and others.
- Be able to list the purpose and specific learnable skills of Nonviolent Communication.
- Be able to list the Four Ingredients of Observation, Feeling, Need and Request.
- Be able to use the Four Ingredients: expressing yourself to others; listening to others; and listening compassionately to yourself.
- Be able to experientially describe the connection between self-empathy and empathy.
- Be able to self-empathize in challenging situations.
- Be able to hear the needs behind challenging messages.
Before applying, we ask you to have completed a Level One course of two days or equivalent with a certified trainer. Once you have been accepted on this course, we suggest that you consider reading Marshall Rosenberg’s book, Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life, or watch one of the videos on our training preparation page. In addition, you could read Shantigarbha’s book on empathy I’ll Meet You There: A Practical Guide to Empathy, Mindfulness and Communication or sample our series of NVC Life Hacks on YouTube.
When and where
Six Thursdays: 14, 21, 28 January and 3, 11, 18 February 2021, 7:00 – 9:15pm UK time.
This is an online course. We will invite you to six online calls, using a platform called Zoom — instructions to follow. Zoom allows us to break out into ‘rooms’ for smaller group and couples work.
The calls will be interactive. We ask that you agree to attend at least five of the six sessions. If you are going to miss more than one session, we ask that you book on a later cycle. In order to create a safe space for sharing, we will only be sharing recordings of the sessions with attendees on the course who aren’t able to make a particular evening i.e. there isn’t a ‘watch only’ option. To give attention to each person on the course, we are limiting the number of participants to 18.
Gift Culture is a new paradigm that moves us away from making money a measurement of worth and value, towards focusing on the sustainability of the community as a whole. More about Gift Culture.
As part of experimenting with financial-co-responsibility, we ask the following:
- When you apply, select the £70 deposit option. We ask that you treat £70 as a non-refundable deposit for your place – you can attend and choose to contribute no more than £70.
- At the end of the sixth session of the course, we will lead through a process in which we invite you to contribute towards the trainers, Shantigarbha and Gesine, continuing to offer this work to others. This will relate to a) the value you have derived from the course, and b) your current financial resources and commitments. On the booking form, we will ask you to confirm that you are aware of this.
A note on finances
We ask for a deposit of £70 to book your place plus a financial contribution of your choosing. To meet our costs and to ensure the sustainability of the event we are suggesting a total contribution in the range of £110–£260 for an online course. If this would be a hardship for you, please do not let that stop you from attending as we would love to have you there. Please contact us to talk about it.
This course is now fully booked.